fbpx Skip to Content

Do You Have a Funeral Representative?

May 16 | 2016  by

Wills, trusts and deeds can be drafted to ensure that monies, real estate, and heirlooms reach our intended beneficiaries after death. Until recently, it was not as easy to have control over your funeral. However, with the enactment of Michigan Senate Bill 551 into law on April 12, 2016, competent adults are now able to designate another adult as a “funeral representative” to make decisions about funeral arrangements and the disposition of the deceased’s body.

An adult can now designate anyone to handle his or her funeral. A funeral representative will need to be: (1) at least 18 years of age; (2) a person of sound mind; and, (3) voluntarily agree to the designation in writing in the presence of two witnesses and acknowledged before a notary public. The funeral representative will ensure that your wishes are carried out.

If you are interested in designating a funeral representative, if you want your estate plan reviewed or updated, or if you want an estate plan drafted, please contact Don Knapp at Fausone & Grysko, PLC for a free consultation. He can be reached at  248-380-0000, ext. 3213 or at dknapp@fb-firm.com.